Amanda O'Neill and the Holy Grail (アマンダ・オニール・アンド・ホーリー・グレイル Amanda Onīru ando Hōrī Gureiru?) is the 17th episode of the Little Witch Academia anime series.
Amanda decides to infiltrate Appleton Academy to look for a missing relic known as the "Holy Grail", Akko accompanies her, wondering if this could be related to the fifth word, that according to Ursula is related to history and tradition. Once there, Amanda disguises herself as a student with Akko, transformed into a mouse, hidden in her pocket. However, Amanda meets Louis Blackwell, son of the Chairman of Defense and their confrontation is stopped by Andrew, who appears to bail them out. After asking for Andrew's help to find the Holy Grail to no avail, Akko continues her search by herself and eventually finds it, while Amanda's disguise is exposed and she is captured by Louis and some other students. Akko attempts to rescue her but is captured as well and when the two are about to be tortured by them, Andrew appears and reprimands the other boys for resorting to violence. To settle their dispute, Louis and Amanda have a duel with swords and despite trying to cheat, Louis is defeated. However, Louis refuses to let Akko and Amanda leave with the Holy Grail and destroys it, revealing an unknown magic that possesses a suit of armor that takes control of him. Akko then throws Amanda her wand, and Amanda manages to free Louis from the curse. After Louis assumes the responsibility for the incident, Akko and Amanda return to Luna Nova, confirming that not only the Holy Grail was false, but it was unrelated to the fifth word, unaware that their ordeal was part of an experiment held by Croix.
Order of appearances
- The scene where Akko jumps to rescue Amanda but is captured instead is a reference to Luna Nova and the White Dragon, where she is caught in the air by Fafnir (and is the size of a mouse compared to him) when she tries to save Lotte, Sucy, Constanze, and Jasminka. In both instances Amanda calls her an idiot.
- The news service Mr. Blackwell reads on his tablet, "UKN" (United Kingdom News/Network), is a reference to the "BBC", or British Broadcasting Company. Specifically the logos are quite similar.
- The scene where Amanda summons her sword is almost exactly how Lion-O (whom Amanda also ironically shares the hairstyle with in this scene) summons his "Sword of Omens" in the 1980's Rankin & Bass cartoon "Thundercats".
- The episode title "Amanda O'Neill and the Holy Grail" might be a reference to 1975 film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".
- This episode takes place in December, along with "Pohjola's Trial" and "Sky War Stanship", as stated in the chronicles book.
- For more images related to Amanda O'Neill and the Holy Grail, see the file category: Category:Episode 17.
- ↑ https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265265778230689793/354307531914608650/IMG_20170904_124940318.jpg